A friend brought it to my attention that maybe as a birth parent you might want to know more than just the "things about us" on both our blog and profile. I was under the impression that we set this blog up and let it be and hope that the Holy Spirit will help you decide if we are the "right fit" (wow -- these adoption buzz words make this miraculous process seem so trivial -- it is sooo not!) for your child. Her advice was an "a-ha!" moment for me. So I thought once a week (maybe more frequently) I'd write mine and my husband's thoughts, feelings, and experiences about the adoption process and how we've been affected by the miracle that is adoption.
So as I sit at my computer, I think about how I believed that I was to do my "homework" (i.e., adoption paperwork, blog, etc.) and then wait for the miracle. However, I learned from this wise friend that maybe you (the birth parent) don't need to do all the work. Maybe it would make it easier on you if I were to give you as much information as I could about us and maybe that would help you with your decision. It may not "make" us become the right choice for you but it might help you see some things you do and don't want in choosing a family for your precious one.
So, today this post is going to be about Lyle. He is so stoic and strong when it comes to this process. (Process -- is that the right word? Maybe my next post will be about that word.) He knows so strongly that when it comes to something as important as this, God is in complete control and we are to have "faith" and enjoy the "ride," so to speak. This is such a good example for me. I admit that I don't always have the utmost patience when it comes to "waiting for motherhood" but he is such a sweet reminder that "anything having is worth waiting for." I definitely agree with that, but sometimes I crave loving and living for something outside myself that I admit I have to turn to him and admit that adoption is not easy, but worth it. Don't get me wrong, it is most definitely hardest on you as you make this momentous and selfless decision; it's just that I get excited at the notion that someone would be "moved" to pick us to raise their child, that I can't wait to show that birth parent how I'm going to do my best to love, take care of, and teach life's lessons to that sweet little one.
This is where Lyle comes in. He has perfect faith that everything works out for a reason and that if we let God take control, life will be as fulfilling and happy (though not always pain-free) as possible -- more than we can comprehend.
I can't tell you how humbling it is that God would bring him into my life. Considering my rocky path to this place in my life, I see the wonders and forgiveness and mercy and kindness of God in the blessings I've been given in spite of myself. It took me getting to the age of 30 to realize this -- but it was sooo worth the wait. And this is the other "a-ha!" moment: The best things in life happen at the right time if we let them and they are, in the end of the road to them, so worth the wait.
This is what my sweet husband has taught me. Or rather, Heavenly Father has shown me through my sweet husband. Amazing how God works....
And much thanks to my sweet friend Elizabeth for bringing all this to my attention.